Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Old News...

http://aivakhiv.blog.uvm.edu/Robert%20Catalano.jpg

Well, sad to report that my 99 year old Polish grandmother passed away yesterday. Luckily, my mother and her sister were there by my grandmother's side, holding her hands as she passed. They both said that it was incredibly peaceful, and serene, as my grandmother appeared to drift off to sleep – and then it was over. Not to be too somber or macabre...

I have spent the past few days thinking a great deal, while meandering around my city. I kept hearing church bells at random times throughout the day, and would look up to catch glimpses of incredible scenic views right before me. It has been bitterly cold, but sunny in that way that illuminates everything with that orange sherbet glow.

Despite feeling sad over the loss, there are many things that make me feel grateful as I reflect on the general state of things.
  1. I feel grateful that my mom and aunt were notified when my grandmother's health started to fail, so that they could rush to her side to say their goodbyes.
  2. I feel relieved to know that my grandmother died while surrounded by her adoring children, and that she wasn't in any pain as she drifted off to sleep.
  3. I am happy that we all got to spend the holidays together a few weeks ago – the first time since my childhood that my extended family celebrated Christmas all together on the holiday itself. Everyone got along perfectly, and my grandmother was in a chipper mood, which was somewhat rare for her.
  4. I love the fact that she got to see my cousin get married last spring.
  5. After feeling guilty for not spending more time with her as of late, I felt some consolation yesterday when my mom told me how much my grandmother gushed about how sweet I was to her at Christmas. Apparently she told my aunt how nice I was to her, and when my aunt responded by saying that I've always been nice to her, she then said, "Yes, but even nicer than usual!" Awe...
  6. I'm incredibly appreciative to all of my friends and family that have called, texted, emailed, sent me posts on Facebook, sending their condolences and well wishes.
There are many more, but I'm starting to get tired, having not been able to get much restful sleep as of late. My best friend suggested that I try to write a kind of funny eulogy for my grandmother; one that encapsulates that snappy, sometimes biting wit of hers.

I'll take a stab at it tomorrow, but I think I need to crash and recharge. Thanks for tuning in and reading this stuff. I promise I'll get back to the funny, dopey stories again soon!

Take good care ~



No comments:

Post a Comment