Sunday, February 21, 2010

Home Sweet Home

http://www.g-n-l.com/images/homesweethome.jpg
I had a weird experience the other day – when I returned home from a long day of work, I was overwhelmed with this strange sensation of nostalgia and sentimentality. Years ago, I began renting this 3.5 bedroom house with my then live-in girlfriend. We worked together, but her work day usually finished up a few hours before mine did. Much of the time, I used to have this feeling of almost euphoric glee on my mad dash to get back home. I was often filled with hopeful excitement over being able to plan a sappy evening with my girlfriend. Whether we cooked a simple dinner, shared a great bottle of wine, and caught up about our days nestled at our dining room table, or hit the town – I looked forward to going home to her. I'd practically be skipping from my parked car, up our many steps to our front door. Even when she was in a bad mood, or even irked at me, my enthusiasm was ever-present.

Needless to say, things didn't work out between us. And as much as I know that it is for the best, meaning that we weren't *the best* fit for each other, I was flooded with that same urgent optimism a couple of days ago while I strutted towards my house. A small satchel filled with the delectable goodies I picked up at this adorable gourmet market by my client's house must have triggered olfactory memories of the days of old. What a strange feeling.

The residual effect has made me wonder if I will ever find that 'other half' most of us seem to crave. This house feels like a home, not an empty shell where she *used* to be, but I wonder how a life that feels so full in many ways may take different forms to make room for other people.

I spoke to a dear friend of mine yesterday who was saying that she has been really loving her friendships with men as of late. She's been learning so much from those connections, and understanding more about what she'd then want from a romantic relationship beyond those friendly affiliations. I can relate, since I have so many female friends, and so many amazing ones at that. I feel really lucky to have their presence in my life, and can't help but be curious about how those dynamics will help me be a better prospective partner down the line.

My friend admitted to wondering how much she would have to shift her life to have a partner in the picture. She is an artist and a freelance writer, and with such a full schedule, it seems like inking in more than just a few dates here and there would be quite a commitment. One that she is interested in making someday, but we all ponder when that person will be revealed to us when we are still single. Like we are – still single...

How should I be getting myself out of this 'home sweet home' more often in order to actually meet someone that might be a better fit? And how do we develop ourselves more completely in our 30s in a way that still leaves that door open for the right person to walk right on through? Like renovating for an open house... I gotta figure that part out.

No comments:

Post a Comment