Thursday, February 4, 2010

Just One of *Those* Days...

http://www.the-lawn.net/wordpress/comics/2009-02-20-099_2009-02-20_One-Of-Those-Days.jpg
Yep, it's been one of those days.

Last night, my roommate and I had some people over to watch "Man vs. Food," since he works at the Travel Channel, and was excited about the live episode. I'd never seen it before, and basically had no interest in consistently watching such gluttony. But, I figured I'd be a team player, and invite some folks over as well, and make a party of it. I went to bed around 1am, after deducing the leak surrounding the skylight in my bedroom ceiling was still dripping, after two failed attempts to seal it. The leak is over my bed, causing a wet spot on the left side of my mattress. Yay! A wet bed! Everyone's favorite thing! So, I cautiously tried to sleep as far over to the right as possible, having gotten caught in the cross fire a time or two mid-sleep.

I then overslept, due to being achy, sniffly, and exhausted, as I am trying to fight a cold (unsuccessfully, having to be outdoors in this cold weather for 4-12 hrs a day!). This was made worse since I was now running late for two early client meetings. (The second of which was super pissed at me, and I had to kiss some serious ass. Yay squared!) Right before I approached her front door, I tried to take a quick swig of seltzer, but when I opened the bottle it spewed everywhere – all over me, all over the interior of my car, awesome! I tried to shake it off, as I rushed to my predictable fate of getting bitched out. It was fine...

When I got back home after those late morning visits, I spied two "tubs" of cheesepuffs left over from the party last night. Somehow, they intrigued me, and I found myself swept up in their gravitational pull. While trying to pop the top off the huge plastic container, the canister itself slipped from my hand, and went flying through the air, behind my tv and television stand, liberating what seemed like thousands of cheesepuffs. Whew-fucking-hew! I had to laugh at the idiocy of it all, and the little gray rain cloud that seemed to be appearing above my head. Funny.

Then I tried to purchased a gently used Macbook Pro from eBay, and monkeyed it up, accidentally paying for it from my bank account, rather than the credit card I was going to use. Uh ~ guh! So, I had to contact the seller, and politely ask if I could swap out the payment arrangement, kind of looking like an incompetent dolt, or a fraudulent schiester! Perfect!

But the pièce de résistance was when I had to go walk my new favorite dog, "Aubrey," a 12 year old three legged yellow lab with a newly discovered degenerative disease, which makes him even more wobbly on three legs. The dog itself is pretty amazing, so happy go lucky, and such a sweetheart! Working with him has reminded me to not sweat the small stuff, as he greets me everyday, tail wagging, hobbling around to explore every corner of his back yard. He's such a lesson in courage and conviction, always getting himself where he needs to go, completely devoid of any self pity or wallowing in the hardships he has faced.

Despite my few glitches during the day, seeing Aubrey cheered me up, per usual. But when we came back in from our visit around the backyard, he collapsed on the floor, sans dog bed, and looked a little 'off.' He was laying on his belly, like he usually does, even wagging his tail, but as I went to pet him to say goodbye, I heard a terrible grumbling. He wasn't growling at me, but rather his body was foisting its own protest, when out of his mouth erupted this molten quagmire of puke, suddenly everywhere.

His owner, a sweet pregnant woman, with one small baby already, leapt up from her chair, mortified that her three legged dog was practically vomiting on my shoes. I was fine, and ran to grab a plastic bag to put under Aubrey's gaping mouth to catch the final reserves. The owner was so embarrassed, and kept telling me how much she appreciated my help, but that I didn't need to stay, as the two of us tried to clean up our canine friend, and the area rug underneath him. I was fine, and continued to clean, as I heard the pregnant mom start to cough. She excused herself, and asked if I could do her a big favor, and throw the bag away before I left. I heard her coughing a few rooms away from me, as I tossed the soiled bag into the kitchen trash can she pointed out to me.

I hadn't realized that she, herself, had begun to vomit, since being pregnant has heightened her sense of smell, and the dog's upset stomach began a chain reaction in her, too. She came out a moment later, apologetic, and thanking me again for my help. I excused myself, saying that I would see them tomorrow, and hoped that everyone was feeling better soon. I wasn't phased by the events, but could tell that the new mom/mom-to-be (for a second time) was blushing, shaken by tossing her cookies in front of a virtual stranger. So sad...

It's only 6:30pm, and I'm curious to know what this day has left in store for me! Nothing has been horrible, so it's not the worst day of my life, but I just feel like it's some cosmic jokester kind of day, where everything is just a bit out of whack.

I'm trying to ready myself for this next "snow-pocalypse," which will be interesting when 20-24" of snow will drape this nation's capital in a heavy, impenetrable blanket of precipitation, shutting down virtually every single element of this city's livelihood.

How the fuck is DC so fragile when it comes to the weather? I grew up in Connecticut, and went to college in Vermont, where it snows 9 months out of the year. Southerners are such pansies when it comes to this shit.

I can't wait to be snowed in, and be forced to take the weekend off from work, resorting to watching bad romantic comedies, and getting around to reading one of the dozen or so books I recently purchased, but already forgot that I own. I need to stock pile some cereal and soy milk, and start some serious nesting. Anything to end this bout of uphill battles on this day of Murphy's Law. Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment