Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Frydaddy

Linkhttp://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2006/11/tuk_lead2.jpg
My friend Danni invited me over to her place for Thanksgiving dinner. It should be fun, and will definitely be entertaining! (For those you you who don't know Danni, think a younger Karen Walker from Will & Grace.)

Apparently she ordered a deep fried turkey, and will be ordering a bunch of sides, and desserts as well. Holidays made simple. It's kind of nice, as there is no pressure. I used to spend Thanksgiving with my family, where my Mom literally spends four days baking up a storm, and then spends two days prepping all the food for celebratory meal. Since my Polish Grandmother has been in a nursing home, we've kind of changed our game plan. My brother and his wife are staying out in Portland, OR, and my cousin who just got married, and will be spending the holiday in Virginia. This excused me from being the only 'kid' in attendance, so I'm laying low in DC and hanging out with friends.

Not to sound like a curmudgeon or grouch, but I really don't care much about holidays anymore. When I was a kid, they were so precious and full of such excitement. But as I grew older, and my family became somewhat spread out geographically, it just didn't have the same resonance. And usually my parents get on each others' nerves, which can feel a bit overwhelming at times.

It will be perfect to just have a laid back Thanksgiving where I can drink til my heart's content, and then stumble home, only a few blocks away, to let my dog out, and instantly pass out in my cozy bed. That is what I am thankful for this year. (Not sure about that deep fried turkey. I'm a yankee at heart, and this whole deep frying phenomenon in the south scares me a bit. My goal is to eat enough healthy sides to fill up, and maybe bypass the deep fried bird and endless amounts of pies that will be staring me down. Fingers crossed!)


No comments:

Post a Comment