Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Student Du-jour

The image “http://www.timeoutsydney.com.au/film/large-everyone-else.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Okay, I know I haven't been writing that much about dating as of late. Again, I've been over working myself job-wise, and then undertaking so many projects that having the energy to date, let alone write about dating feels rather daunting. I need to change that.

While on a dog walk the other day I compiled a list of roughly 25 ideas for future posts, and a multitude of themes and angles that I wish to cover in this forum. I felt really proud of myself, while later reviewing my list, which has now sat dormant on my desk, and taunts me while I try to find a moment of respite.

Over the weekend, a lady friend of mine invited me over for dinner and drinks at her place. We got to talking about dating, among other things, and she offered up a lifetime's supply of 'helpful hints' par amour. (Speaking of paramours, she told me a fascinating little quip about how she had assumed the role of teacher extraordinaire for a young man who wanted more experiential knowledge of the carnal sector. Her stories were so titillating and provocative, they seemed almost cinematic. And not the 'pizza delivery boy comes a'knockin' ' kind of cinema, either...)

But it got me to thinking: I am not the only one unsure about where I fit in to this enormous, amorphous realm of sex, dating, love and flirting. Even the most confident, 'cock-sure' people strike out. The most beautiful people in the world sometimes spend a Friday evening flying solo. That particular student-du jour was just one of the few to wear his youthful inexperience, and exuberant curiosity on his sleeve – actively seeking out all of that experiential knowledge that lay before him, like a virtual library of books yet to be read.

Maybe being a student isn't so bad after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment