Friday, November 13, 2009

The Wedding Favor

http://assets.kaboose.com/media/00/00/06/fe/868a11862827c89ac200deee9a8cdd715a58281f/476x357/rotator-intro-pic-13-4-1_476x357.jpg
Okay, so admittedly, I am a little tipsy. I had a long day of work, and came home to make an unsatisfying salad for dinner, with a small glass of wine. I didn't realize that if you haven't eaten much all day, that shit goes straight to your head. That said...

I am getting ready to go to one of my best friend's wedding receptions. This is the same friend whom I mentioned before, who got married several weeks ago. They are holding the reception tonight in DC for those of us who couldn't make the destination wedding. I was one of those fools...

Waiting until the last minute to purchase their wedding gifts, I struggled with the type of present I should give the happy couple. My friend mentioned that she wanted a Wii Fit, but her husband opted for some other type of video game contraption. (Can you tell I'm not a tech-nerd?) Do I get her that gift, or would it seem like some passive aggressive competition with her new husband? My best friend suggested I purchase straight from the registry, and only opt for gifts that they both could use.

So, I went to Crate and Barrel and got them the Cuisinart hand blender they desired, along with some cooking and baking accoutrement. I felt guilty for not being willing to shell out the $750 for 36 hrs in Key West for their wedding, but wasn't sure how much to spend on their gifts to show that I was bummed to miss their dreamy wedding, yet not trying to out do or out spend the other guests with their selections. Ugh! Too much with which to contend. I'm not swift enough for this kind of thing.

The worst part is that the sale associate at Crate and Barrel boxed everything up for me, but they are kind of awkwardly shaped boxes. Ones that I am unsure if I can wrap myself because of the weird dimensions. Am I lame that I want to use the excuse: "I'm a dude now," and therefore, I don't have to be concerned with aesthetic gestures such as wrapping paper and wide ribbon bows?

In my family, wrapping a gift is like an art form. It fits in under the umbrella of my mother's vanity, where she literally totes around the presents she's wrapped for the holidays expecting each individual to tell her that she's really out done herself this year. And yes, I am closer to that side of the decorating spectrum. But I fear trying too hard will make more of a spectacle than not trying hard enough. I dunno.

A woman I used to like got married. Isn't it nice that I got them anything at all?

1 comment:

  1. You can use SimchaBucks to calculate how much money to spend on a wedding gift.

    ReplyDelete