Wednesday, December 2, 2009

My Birthday...























Today is my birthday. I am 34 today, which seems so odd to me, as I still feel like I am in my early 20's, and look like a teenager. Well, except that my hair is turning gray, thinning, and I have laugh lines that really aren't so funny. But other than that!...

It's a little after 8am here, and I am still sleepy. My dog keeps waking me up between 3-4am to go out, and my cat keeps scratching at my door in the middle of the night if she fears she's running low on food, or just needs attention. Which begs to ask: Why did humans decide to domesticate animals in the first place? And how did I get stuck with a neurotic, aggro pit bull, and a feral, feisty black cat, for bad luck? Awesome! So, ya – a little sleepy today.

I used to have this ridiculous theory as a kid that the kind of weather you had on your birthday reflected the kind of person you were. As I got older, I realized that my theory was based on the kind of weather I witnessed where I am, regardless of where the birthday boy/girl resides. Funny. Apparently I am "overcast" then, if we're going by the immediate standard of weather outside.

All of these people have been asking me what I want for my birthday. As much as I really love giving gifts, I don't get as hung up on receiving gifts. As I always say in my birthday invitations: "No presents, just presence," since people sharing their time with me is the best gift I can receive. (Unless they are cranky assholes, who only go on and on about how shitty their lives are, and then "sharing" becomes unnecessary!)

But between friends asking me what I want for my birthday, and having to come up with suggestions for bday/Xmas presents for my family, I have really been thinking about what I want. I thought it would be good to write them down here, to put them out into the universe and help them materialize. They are as follows:

What I want for my birthday:

  1. A beard! (And no, I don't mean a faux wife, for my gay boy ass...)
  2. The new iPhone 3GS with video (so, I can be a complete dork and post videos to this here bloggy.)
  3. A new operating system for my laptop, to better sync with my hypothetical new iPhone
  4. An Audi A5... My favorite new car
  5. World Peace (yes, I am a materialistic douche bag for putting it 5th on my list)
  6. A hair transplant (yes, it's true. sigh~)
  7. A new "operating system" for my neurotic, aggro pit bull, so he can permanently be as cute and cuddly as he is with me alone
  8. Time and money to go travel around all of the oldest centers of Europe
  9. To get three articles published by spring
  10. A 10' ladder to seal the leaky skylight in my bedroom, and change the burned out light bulb in a light fixture in the upstairs hallway of my house, that some complete moron affixed over the stairwell, roughly 8' off the ground. WTF?
  11. A leaf blower. (Yes, apparently I've become just that bourgeois)
  12. Did I mention a beard? (Don't you think I'd look really good with a beard? Waiting for this second puberty to go full steam ahead already...)
  13. To fall head over heels in love, and have it work out this time. Yep. Lucky 13...

(And maybe have Amy Sedaris personally deliver me cupcakes, while Amy Poehler waves some Happy Birthday banner, while they both sing me some wacky version of "Happy Birthday" to me. Is that too much to ask???)

Obviously, there is nothing that I really need this year. I feel pretty lucky to honestly have most of what I really want in life already. Sure, having a nice, well-groomed, full beard would rock the party, but otherwise, I am really content for the first extended time ever. I feel truly grateful for having such a wonderful network of friends and family that already started sending all of the warmest birthday wishes my way. Thanks everyone, and let's hope the sun breaks for at least a fleeting moment, so I can shake this self-induced reputation of being "overcast" from this birthday weather!

Much love, and many thanks! All the best ~Always, Will




No comments:

Post a Comment