Sunday, December 20, 2009

Snowpocalypse Now























(This was the view from my front door this morning.)

I've been having one of those days. D'ya know what I mean?

I'm not sure if you've heard about the roughly 16-18" of snow that fell in the DC metro area over the past two days. My newer car's "traction control" left me coveting my old Audi quattro, as my ass either slide all over the road, or worse yet, wouldn't budge at all. I took a "snow day" yesterday, and canceled all my client meetings, and proceeded to hang out with my dog while watching bad movies all day. Fighting the cabin fever, I obsessively cleaned my house, reorganized two dressers, my closet, my linens, bathed my dog, shoveled a walk way or two, and called it a day. A very productive day.

Cut to today. Overslept, woke up late for work, where I had to again cancel a few early client meetings due to inclimate weather, but couldn't figure out what to do with myself. So, I decided to shovel the newly fallen snow for a few hours. It was a good work out, one desperately needed after not having been to the gym in a few weeks. And it gave me a lot of time to think.

I have the house to myself, my dog has been super chill, and I've gotten so much shit done. It felt great. And slowly these thoughts crept into my head, remembering times with this woman, or that one. Remembering how it felt to have a girlfriend, to actually live with someone, and share in that domesticity. Thinking about how much I have changed in a relatively short period of time, and yet haven't truly put myself to the test to see if any of these newer renditions of myself hook the right person. Huh.

As the afternoon progressed, I forced myself to stop canoodling, and forge on ahead with my last few client meetings. One was for the lesbian power couple mentioned several posts ago. They gave me an incredibly generous holiday bonus, a very expensive bottle of champagne, a card that said how much they "love (my) visits, and love (me)," and both kissed me farewell upon my departure. Damn!

Foolishly, I then tried to kill some time, and proceeded to get a $25o parking ticket while ducking into a CVS for 7 minutes. Apparently I was temporarily parked on a main thoroughfare, which was deemed a "snow emergency route." Awesome! After that, I was so pissed, I couldn't find parking at the next client's place, and ended up getting lodged atop a small iceberg, stuck again. This is doubly embarrassing since I come from New England, and often mock mid-Atlantico's for their bullshit driving in the winter. My ego was badly bruised with this new suck mobile.

When I eventually got myself deployed back home, everything seemed just a bit off. Cranky now as ever, I am trying to read the signs that all of these annoyances might be trying to tell me. But what? What do these signs represent – what signals missed?

Or... Is synchronicity a load of crap? Was Carl Jung wrong? Was Sting just abusing it to sound like an enlightened pop-star douche bag? Why do things *have* to mean something? Can't a bad day just be a bad day? Can't I just be an idiot for following the sixty or so other cars when I parked on that main drag, and not finding any "snow emergency" signs in sight?

Now, I'm not saying that getting deserted on the repeated ice caps of DC prompted me to move to Honolulu. No. And I'm not mulling over which insanely over sized SUV with four wheel drive should be sitting in my drive way come Jan 1st. Again, not so much. But if this really was an apocalyptic snow storm, then shouldn't there be some revelatory "come to Jesus" epiphany?

Even as this rough day passes, I yearn for something bigger, something more significant. Maybe that handful of Advil and this heating pad for my aching back (you know, it's true when they tell you to bend with your knees...) is distracting me from my a-ha moment.

What to do, what to do... I'm itching to break through this inertia, and crack these cement slippers I've found myself wearing. Where's my pick axe? I'm going Cool Hand Luke on yer asses!

No comments:

Post a Comment