Thursday, October 1, 2009

Better never than late...


A few months ago I had dinner and drinks with a good friend of mine who is a reviewer for the Zagat Restaurant Guide. We went to the W Hotel in downtown DC, and got shown the royal treatment. It was pretty amazing. I thought to myself: "I bet this is how real dates are supposed to be..." I wore tailored charcoal suit pants, my favorite pink striped shirt, and well polished black dress boots – I felt like such an adult for a change.

While there, my friend dished some dirt on her latest dating epiphanies. She mentioned that she had been on some underwhelming dates since I saw her last. One of the guys she went out with made an off the cuff comment that sort of changed her life.

This guy mentioned that many of the women that he had been seeing lately would show up exactly 15 minutes late to their dates. For obvious reasons, he got kind of annoyed at constantly waiting for these women he didn't even know yet.

My friend, having not been previously informed of her suitor's distaste for women who were late, then had to sit through this whole diatribe about respect for others' time, and how it starts things on the wrong foot. She had no clue. In her mind, she simply didn't want to arrive early and seem desperate.

Unfortunately, there was no love connection with this one fellow, but she heard him loud and clear, and hasn't been late for a date since.

Funny how things we do in order to not look desperate can accidentally shoot us in the foot. I wish I could have someone sit me down and give me that much needed talk.


No comments:

Post a Comment