Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Number two

Heh, yes... Insert sophomoric potty jokes here ____.

Tonight is supposed to be my second date with that woman that I mentioned before. Everyone and their mother keep telling me that I need to out myself as trans over drinks tonight. (What is the best approach for this kind of convo? No, seriously...)

Again, everyone keeps mentioning that no matter what, it will be good practice. "If you find out you're not that into this woman, then no harm done. Chalk it up to more practice. Or if you are into her, and she freaks out, then you know early enough on, so you won't get hurt down the line. You never know, maybe she'll be great, and you'll both be good to go." Trying to do the math in my head. What other possible combinations can there be?

My bff gave me some advice yesterday, and shared her own experiences to help me through. She is a single mom with two kids, and had similar dilemmas about when to share her backstory when people caught her interest.

"I had this rule that if someone said more than 5 sentences to me, then I had to tell them I have kids." Sometimes, the 4th and 5 sentences were more like: "Um, excuse me. Can you tell me where the bath room is?" and I tried to get her to edit her confessional stance to only be applied when she truly clicked with someone. But I got her point.

We all have stuff that we feel like we might need to fess up at one time or another. These elements that make us feel more vulnerable than we'd care to admit keep coming to the surface. Mine happens to be that I'm trans. For my bff, it was that she has kids. We all have baggage, I think what matters is how we travel with it, and how well our baggage goes with someone else's. (Like her Louis Vuitton with my scrappy messenger bag. Well, not quite so literally...)

But, I'll be okay, right? Here's hoping that it's not a totally craptastic date, if I fuck up the intro. Cross yer fingers for me, eh?
https://www.suncountry.com/images/splashimg/baggageFind.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment