Monday, September 14, 2009

Roots

(No, this blog isn't a 1970s small screen mini-series following the lineage of dozens of Africans brought to American, and depicting their trials and tribulations. But I can see you you could get confused...)

This entry will be about an email that I received from a male friend of mine the other day. (I will give him an anonymous name, so you can follow the story. Let's call him Joe Q. Public. (((not funny?!?))) He's not to be confused with Joe the Plumber, John C. Flood- the original, or Ice Cube.)

Joe had written me telling me that he had been following my blog, and how certain themes were easily identifiable to people that weren't trans at all. Not even a little... Like the insecurity many of us feel where dating is concerned, and how we all wish we were a little bit more 'this or that' to surmount those nerves.

The one image from his message that is still swirling around in my head was a phrase that he used:
...your audience is ready to fully believe you, and understand where you're going, and root for you.
It's kind of a smack in the face to hear that people are rooting for me. Especially considering how sometimes I forget to root for myself. Another friend used that same exact phrasing a few years ago when I first transitioned and started to write anecdotally about the my experiences.

It's good to know that we can all have pep rally when we least expect it. Thanks for being my cheerleaders! (Next time, bring the pompoms...)





No comments:

Post a Comment